Strange things about renting in London #1 – As soon as someone ‘makes an offer’ for a rental property, the agents will not even let you see it. In Melbourne anyone can apply, and the agent/owner gets to choose. Here, you’ve just gotta get in first!
Strange things about renting in London #2 – Actually, this is a good thing. You can make appointments to see a property and the agent meets you there and shows you through. Not like Melbourne where you have 15 minutes on a Tuesday at 5pm (which is what they did for Northcote). Plus, they call you back and suggest other things! Awesome.
Obviously we haven’t found anything suitable yet…I made a second appointment to see one last week with Nick which I had seen with our relocation agent the previous day. Living area was great, nice period conversion, great location, but the bedrooms were TINY – barely could get around the bed in the master bedroom (but had a massive ensuite – bizarre). I thought maybe we could have lived with it, but I think it would drive you crazy after a while so we passed on that one.
Nick is in Munich today and tomorrow for work and I am still studying...My advisor has just told me that October 31st – the date I thought it was due and was working towards – is kind of just a vague idea of a submission date…frustrating because I just want to finish. The 31st is really the date for the review process to begin – where they tell you what bits to change prior to final submission or something like that. Anyway, I should have a final draft done and will review while I start looking for a job – have to support this expensive London lifestyle!
Nick and I went and saw ‘Dancing in the Street’ in the West End on Saturday night (one of those essential London experiences we can check off the list) – all about Motown. Lots of great singing, but not much story (actually, not any story). Good all the same. We are off to Manchester next Tuesday to see the Gorillaz do a special show at the Manchester Opera House (yes, apparently there is such a place) and have booked to go to Dublin first weekend in December.