
Melissa and I have known each other since 1992. We met on one of my first days at university – Melissa was a year ahead of me but we both lived at Chisholm College at Latrobe, Melissa having moved from Albury. The following year Melissa moved to Northcote (perhaps now our spiritual home town) and the next year, I also moved to Northcote (to a flat just up the hill from Bridge Street). The year after (1995) we went to Europe together for 6 weeks – London for two weeks (including Blur at Mile End and the classic Glastonbury featuring Pulp), then Paris, Barcelona, Milan (very briefly), Berlin (for Love Parade) and Amsterdam. Now more than 10 years later (!!!) I live in London and Melissa lives in Brazil…I’m not sure but seems some kind of synchronicity there that makes sense for Nick and I to travel from London to Brazil to be Una’s godparents.
The ceremony was held at a lovely church in the center of Itabirinha with friends and family. Una behaved like an angel – sleeping throughout the entire ceremony in my arms (look of concentration on my face here - one arm, sleeping baby, quite heavy...) -
- only waking when the Priest poured the water on her forehead, but then falling asleep again!
The entire ceremony was in Portuguese, and while we had picked up a few key words, understanding a religious ceremony was still a bit beyond our grasp. Fortunately we had Will who prompted us at the appropriate times to agree to protect and guide and love Una for the rest of her life which we will be more than happy to do.

