Tuesday, April 17, 2012
Roast Club: The Chamberlayne
Venue: The Chamberlayne
Attendees: Kim, Nick C, Milo, Henry, Sarah B, Nick G, Rachel, Charlie.
The Chamberlayne is on Chamberlayne Road in Kensal Rise which is the next 'suburb' (not that they are called suburbs) on the west side of Queens Park (which is not even a non-suburb but the area around the tube station and park called Queens Park). It's a pretty cool street with some nice boutiques (including a great kids shop) and some good places to eat.
The Chamberlayne is fairly small and was absolutely jam-packed when we arrived on Sunday at 3pm. Fortunately we had booked and were seated in a section at the back which was more dining room, less pub - perfect for us. The roast selections were beef, chicken or pork belly. Rachel and I had pork belly (pictured) and everyone else went with the beef. The serves were huge (under the pork belly are parsnips and carrots) and although the pork was a little fatty (a hazard of the pork belly), it was delicious. The beef was good but Nick C was eyeing up my pork so I guess it slightly won out.
We were all pretty full but dessert looked good so we went ahead and ordered. I got the Apple and Pear Crumble which was really great - had I not been so full it might have been even better but I was struggling to eat it. Nick C, Nick G and Rachel ordered the Banoffee Pie which looked impressive with a massive layer of cream on top, but didn't quite deliver.
Service was good even though they were really busy and it was relatively child-friendly (although ours were the only children in the whole place). On the expensive side (the beef was £18) but not unreasonably so. Recommended.